Adults in Year 3
Class 3M Teacher – Miss McComish
Class 3M Teaching Assistant – Mrs Smith
Class 3L Teacher – Mr Lee
Class 3L Teaching Assistant – Mrs Roberts
- Mental and written strategies for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Consolidate multiplication facts up to 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s, 8s, 10s.
- Identify fractions of shapes, and find simple fractions of shapes and numbers. Equivalent fractions and addition of simple fractions.
- Investigate number patterns and use findings to solve puzzles.
- Solve one and two-step mathematical word problems.
- Use standard measures for weight and length accurately. Read scales with increasing accuracy when measuring.
- Reading and understanding time in different forms.
- Information Text
- Howard Carter inspired writing
- Learning spelling rules and investigating patterns through games.
- Guided Reading sessions
Science (and Outdoor Learning)
- Light and Shadows – identifying light sources around us; investigating how light travels and how shadows are formed; understanding how reflections are formed.
- Animals including humans
- Pond dipping and life cycle of a frog
- Year group gardening
- Ancient Egyptians
- Sikhism – why is it important for Sikhs to share?
- Athletics – jumping (high jump, long jump & triple jump), running (sprinting and distance), throwing (tennis ball, javelin, shot putt); preparation for Sports Day
- Swimming lessons on Monday mornings
PE lessons are on Monday and Wednesday. School PE kit should be worn to school on these days. Water bottles and sun hats required.
- Exploring music using the Charanga scheme of work, including singing and accompanying well-known songs.
- PowerPoint skills
- E-safety; staying safe on-line
Design and Technology
- Sewing Egyptian broad collars using binca
- Observational Drawing using pencils.
Art activities – Please keep an old shirt or apron in school at all times.
- Changes – identifying changes since we have been in Year 3; mapping out our life stories; considering changes as we move up a year group; setting targets for the future.
- Sun Safety
- Revision of colours, numbers, letters and common instructions and greetings.
- The children will learn a variety of traditional French songs and stories, and also learn about life in France through looking at webcams, maps, films, etc.
- Learning to form simple sentences in French, both written and oral.
- Doodle Maths – 20 minutes per week
- Doodle English – 20 minutes per week
- Doodle Tables – 20 minutes per week
- Learning times tables for weekly test every Friday.
- Daily reading – (Mon – Fri) minimum 10 mins. To be recorded in Homework Diary. If your child reads 5 times at home over the course of a week they receive a house point; if they do this every week for half a term they will receive a merit.
- After half term, Year 3 children give a talk about something that is important to them. They will need to prepare these talks as homework to be presented in class.
Please check your child’s homework diary regularly and sign it at the end of each week. Please record every time you read with your child. If your child has any difficulty with their homework, please record this in their diary.
PLEASE provide your child with a named bottle that they can fill daily with water. It can get very warm in the Year 3 classrooms in the summer term.