In 2017, one of our leadership team, Mr Lee, approached RATP (the transport company that runs the buses in South London) about them donating a double decker bus. Once we had been donated the bus, we then worked with them to establish where we could put the bus and how we would get it onto the site – a challenge in itself!
We are going to use our bus for:
- Teaching of intervention groups.
- Breakout area for children with special needs.
- A class teaching area.
- First-aid station and quiet reading area during break & lunchtime.
- Special events.
In the meantime, if you are able to help in any way e.g. with soft-furnishings or the heating / air-con, please contact Mr Lee.
The Story So Far
Window Wize (www.windowwize.co.uk) – a local double glazing and home improvement company has provided their help and funded:
- All the foundation materials and structures.
- Worked with a parent to lay foundations.
- Completed tunnelling works to allow for electrics to be run.
- Deep cleaned the inside of the bus ready for the next stage.
- Provided their team to help with the planning and to advise on the project.
Mr Lee has also been working closely with L&G Housing (www.landghomes.com) – the house construction firm that are building Buckler Park on the former TRL site – and has secured their help and funding for:
- Connecting up the bus to the electric supply.
- Lighting & plugs inside the bus.
- New flooring.
- The making of bookshelves & benches for the inside of the bus.
- The laying of paving slabs (including those that the children decorated last year) outside the bus.
Furthermore, he is working on applying for additional funding for:
- Soft furnishings (cushions, bean bags etc).
- Heating & air-con units to make the bus more practical to use all year round.
- A sensory area within the bus for children with special educational needs.
Window Wize, a family run, local home improvement company based in Wokingham, Berkshire. Specialising in Windows, Doors, Conservatories and Orangeries they bring creative living spaces to homes of all sizes.