At Oaklands Junior School we believe that everyone has the right to be treated with dignity and respect. We are committed to ensuring equality of opportunity in line with the Equality Act of October 2010. This Act prohibits direct and indirect discrimination, harassment and victimisation of people on the grounds of protected characteristics these being disability, gender reassignment, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation and age.
We seek to show this through all aspects of school life and in particular through our commitment to every child fulfilling their potential through classroom based learning, outdoor learning, pastoral care, intervention groups, work in the local and wider community and our recruitment and retention of staff.
All our staff are committed to ensuring that all pupils are challenged to achieve their potential and will also guide parents on how they can support their children’s achievements. Where pupils experience barriers to learning, we will work with them to address these in a sensitive and supportive way. We will ensure that all pupils understand the importance of equality and foster within our pupils their own commitment to promoting equality.
We will have due regard in the day to day policies and practice of our school for the need to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination
- Advance equality of opportunity
- Foster good relations between people from different groups
Our school context
From our 2018 census with 252 pupils on roll (129 boys and 123 girls); the majority of our pupils are White British (81%). 7% are of any other White background. 4% White and/or Asian. 2% White and Black Caribbean or Black African. 1% are Chinese. 2% are of any other mixed background. Less than 1% are Traveller of Irish Heritage. 3% ethnicity unknown.
None of our pupils have a disability.
Our Vision and Aims for Equality and Diversity
We will treat everyone at Oaklands Junior School fairly and with equal respect so that all members of our school community can be free to learn, enjoy and reach their potential. At Oaklands Junior School we will ensure that we:
- Tackle all discrimination including on the grounds of race, disability, gender/gender identity, sexual orientation, religious belief or age.
- Positively advance equality within our school for adults and children.
- Create good relationships in the school between all groups by race, gender/gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, religious belief and age.
- Promote equality of opportunity for all.
School Equality Objective
- To monitor and respond to, any gaps in achievement between specific groups e.g. boys and girls, groups based on ethnicity. Evidence for this objective will be collected from the national database Analyse School Performance [ASP] as well as from our school pupil progress tracking system.
- To monitor the impact of pupil premium spending on progress.